3D stimuli and stereo vision.

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
MarcoRotonda

3D stimuli and stereo vision.

Post by MarcoRotonda »

Hi OpenVibers,
I'm sorry asking you always easy questions but I'm a psychophysiologist not a programmer. :roll:

I have some questions:

1. Reading the documentation it seems possible to create a simple game application with Blender Game Engine that will close the loop for a bci/neurofeedback application.
It seems quite easy to create an application with that tool, so if I wish just to present 3D stimuli should not be so complicate, but once done in Blender, what I have to do? I have to put it inside another program I should develop in c++?

2. As far as I've understood there is the ability for Blender GE to support different type of stereo mode (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=134090) at runtime.
This means that I could send these stimuli in stereo mode? Or there are other tricks to present images in stereo mode?

3. I've read about gamekit (http://code.google.com/p/gamekit/), do you think it's good too?

Regards

Marco

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: 3D stimuli and stereo vision.

Post by yrenard »

Dear MarcoRotonda,

indeed, blender's game engine sounds like a reasonable choice for developing your visualization / stimuli presentation stuff. But still, you will have to program some things with the python scripting language. Even if python scripting is far more easy than C++, you should have basics computer / developments skills to get something out of it.

This said, I have almost no experience with blender and python. As stated before they are reasonable choices for what you want to do and I know some OpenViBE users are already using those technologies with OpenViBE. Showing stereo stimuli should not be different than presenting mono stimuli.

I never heard about GameKit but given its documentation, it also sounds like something reasonable. You will have to program in either C++ or Lua which is also a very simple and efficient scripting language.

I hope this helps you make your choices.
Regards,
Yann