OpenViBE on different platforms

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
jeff

OpenViBE on different platforms

Post by jeff »

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about OpenViBE on different platforms:

1) Are all drivers available on all supported platforms?

In the FAQ there is a list of supported platforms and supported devices, is it ok to suppose that all supported devices should work on all supported platforms?

2) Has anyone tested OpenViBE on x86 on an Atom (or similar low-power) processor?

There are no official minimum requirements listed on the documentation, would the performance be acceptable to use OV with an online scenario on this limited platforms?

Thank you very much,

--
Jeff

lbonnet
Site Admin

Re: OpenViBE on different platforms

Post by lbonnet »

Hi !
1) Are all drivers available on all supported platforms?
No, each driver has its own supported platform(s). This is due to a API or other specifications given by the EEG manufacturer, which the driver is based on. Most of the time, the driver will run on windows only (e.g. : neurosky, VAmp, g.USBAmp).
2) Has anyone tested OpenViBE on x86 on an Atom (or similar low-power) processor?
We didn't try this here. But indeed, it's a good question ! anyone else :) ?
There are no official minimum requirements listed on the documentation, would the performance be acceptable to use OV with an online scenario on this limited platforms?
We don't have the hardware here to test the performance on that kind of computer, so I'm not 100% sure it will handle the charge. However, I can tell you that this platform won't be able to run at the same time an acquisition server and a designer with an opened scenario. But if you are using this small computer only for a scenario (and not EEG acquisition), it could work... it's worth the try !

Laurent
Follow us on twitter >> openvibebci

Checkout my (old) blog for some OpenViBE tips & tricks : here !

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear jeff,

if you want to give this a try, I suggest - if possible - that you try it on Linux. The GTK implementation on Windows in not very powerful. You'll probably save some CPU cycles on Linux ;)

No flameware of course, just an advice !

Yann

jeff

Post by jeff »

Hi Yann,

Thank you very much for your feedback! No flamewar here, I've been using Linux as my main OS for about 8 years now :-). The only problem I have is with the Acquisition Drivers, because most of them are only available for Windows (I have been running OV on a Virtual Machine because of this).

In any case, I think I will probably try a two computers approach, with one netbook running Windows for acquisition and then other one running Linux for the Designer.

As soon as I get some results, I will let you know.

Regardas,