Use OpenViBE with KT-88 1018

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
dyd1985

Use OpenViBE with KT-88 1018

Post by dyd1985 »

Hi,
I have a question. I'm going to buy an EEG machine, Contec KT-88 1018. It is a cheap hardware, but it should work pretty fine for acquiring signals.
Do you know if there could be any chance to use this hardware with OpenViBE in order to be able to develop my own BCI scenarios.

Thank you very much
Alessandro

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: Use OpenViBE with KT-88 1018

Post by yrenard »

Dear dyd1985,

thank you for your interest in OpenViBE and welcome on this forum.

The Contec KT-88 1018 is not yet supported by OpenViBE. If you can access the RAW data from an appropriate SDK, it is rather easy to develop a new driver in C++. In case you don't know C++, maybe someone around you could do it for you.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Yann Renard

dyd1985

Post by dyd1985 »

Thank you very much fro your answer.

GrahamHealy

Post by GrahamHealy »

Hi,
I bought a kt88-1016 which arrived last week. I got a basic driver working for the device in python which reads from the incoming kt88 data from the virtual com port and presents it on a tcp/ip port. I adapted another piece of c++ code I found in the latest svn snapshot of openvibe which connects back to this local port allowing for data acquisition in openvibe.
The kt88 sends data on at 100hz for the 16 channels (+ ecg channels). My original python driver is based on the explanation and code given from: http://engineuring.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... nterfacing (this was ringo-ring who I seen also on another post on this board?)

I am willing to package my code up with the other pieces or graphing/filtering software I've wrote if you wish.... (first I need to clean up code a little), but let me know.

I've done some quick testing in openvibe and managed to get the p300 speller working (with a little over 70% accuracy) using 6 channels on pz, cz, oz, p3, p4, fz and silver electrodes (my silver silver-chloride electrodes are in the post) in the past hour or so. I intend to give a better go at this tomorrow when I can hold concentration without falling asleep during the signal acquisition phase training ;)

I've no hardware to benchmark the kt88-1016 against, but I believe the signal to be clean bar 50hz noise which I am removing in software. Granted I am using low quality electrodes (silver) I was still able to see a clear amplitude increase in the 8hz to 12hz (alpha) range) at sites Oz, Pz, p3, p4 when I closed my eyes. These pronounced also waves were easily detectable to the eye too when I only graphed the signal bandpassed from 8z to 12hz.

Hope that helps!

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear GrahamHealy,

that's nice to know you managed to get the P300 speller working with your KT-88 1018 device. It looks like this device is becoming popular !! Even if, a python server would not be candidate for inclusion in the official release, feel free to share your code with the community. Maybe someone would turn it to C++ as a fully integrated driver.

Meantime, if you want to get the speller stimulator faster, just configure the P300 Speller Stimulator box to better fit your preferences.

Hope this helps,
Yann

emerson

Post by emerson »

Dear Graham Healy,

I'm trying to access the data from my device (KT88-1016), but I get nothing. I think the software that comes with this device sends out commands in order to receive data. I took it apart and I saw it has a microcontroller, which I couldn't find on the Internet (LSD0007), but it has a Texas Instrument logo. After a long search, I believe this microcontroller is this one: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/msp430f1611.pdf. Therefore, I almost sure it has a firmware installed in it that waits for "command inputs" before sending data. Can you confirm that, please? I lost the CD that came along with it and I don't have it installed on my computer anymore so I cannot test it :(

Could you please send me your "driver" so I can adjust to my needs? I want to use my device under Mac OS. I've already patched a kext (driver) - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/cont ... message/22 - and now I have a serial port in my /dev folder (/dev/tty.Pololu). Now I only need to receive data from it (and understand it, of course :)

Thanks for your time,
emerson

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear emerson,

if you have a driver for the KT-88 1018, please feel free to submit it. Just attach your code either here or in the bugtracker and we will enter a in code reviewing process so to include this new driver in the official release.

Regards,
Yann

ThinkEEG

Post by ThinkEEG »

If the driver works, I will be interested to get the 32 channels. This would really help to promote EEG research through OpenVIBE.

Imagine using it in remote areas in 3rd world countries.

I also hope to get feedbacks from users who are using the device before making decision.
KT88-3200 Digital EEG and Mapping System

emerson

Post by emerson »

Hi guys! I'm working on it :)

ringo-ring

Post by ringo-ring »

Basic software (with C++ source code) to read data from KT88-1016, and basic OpenViBe driver for the same device here:
http://engineuring.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... amplifier/
- if anyone needs...

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear ringo-ring,

thank you for posting this contribution ! By the way, did you decide if this could be included in official release under L-GPL v2+ licence ?

Yann

emerson

Post by emerson »

Dear ringo-ring,

I tried to use the driver you uploaded to http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/conteckt88/files with openvibe but it doesn't work. I believe it's caused by the migration from LibGlade to GtkBuilder (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=361), but it's just a guess. Anyway, I wrote a new one based on your explanations on http://engineuring.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... nterfacing and your code itself. You can find it in the same location (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/conteckt88/files).

Best,
Emerson

yrenard
Site Admin

Post by yrenard »

Dear emerson,

I looked at your driver ; thank you very much for posting it and proposing it for integration.
There are a couple of enhancement that could be considered before actually putting this driver in the stable release if you feel you could do it
  • write a linux version (the OpenEEG driver also uses serial port, you will find portable/ported code there)
  • update the configuration class so that the port number can be chosen from the corresponding dialog box (the OpenEEG driver also does that)
  • a few fixes should be applied to conform with the contribution rules.
Please tell us what you think you can or can't do. You could possibly join the #irc channel if you want to chat with us.
Yann