Neurofeedback modules

Come here to discuss about OpenViBE in general!
EEGHelp

Neurofeedback modules

Post by EEGHelp »

Hi Yann

I read your blog and the thread about
the good use of the “Run Command” box
I would like to know if this applies to typical neurofeedback sessions in which someone trains a specific frequency ratio with the audiovisual stimuli.

Secondly, do you know if from the side of OpenVibe or some of their partners you will release other FOSS modules during 2010 for easy setup of audiovisual neurofeedback like those that you may find in BioExplorer or Brainbay.

Thanks.

yrenard
Site Admin

Re: Neurofeedback modules

Post by yrenard »

Dear EEGHelp,

I'm glad that you visited my blog :)

The run command box is for launching system commands based on stimulations. I'm not sure this can be applied to typical neurofeedback sessions you are talking about. I am not aware of what can be done with neurofeedback, I'm more on the machine control side. Can you give me more details or some videos so I can have an idea of what you need ?

On the other hand concerning your question for future developments, I will have to check that with our neurofeedback expert Marco Congedo. He may have some things to answer. What does FOSS mean ? Also, can you point me on sample design or videos of bioexplorer or brainbay doing what you request ?

Thank you,
Yann

mcongedo

Post by mcongedo »

Hello,

at GIPSA-lab we are actively working on neurofeedback scenarios for open-ViBE, although we do not plan for the moment being to work on audio-visual entrainement. I believe our scenarions may be available with next open-ViBE release, depending on the schedule of Yann the boss.

Stay Tuned,

Marco Congedo

EEGHelp

Post by EEGHelp »

Hi Yann and Marco, many thanks for your answers.

When I say FOSS I mean "Free Open Source Software".

Regarding what is Neurofeedback, the answer could be seen in this video:
What Is Neurofeedback ? - EEG INFO Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6XeCwFQrCA

About the BioExplorer designs:
Using Media in BioExplorer Designs - ITALLIS
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f

BioExplorer is a commercial neurofeedback software, probably the most popular along wih BioEra.

They are very similar to OpenVibe designs, they use acquisition, filters, algorithms, EEG graphs, etc. just like Open Vibe. I think you would only be lacking something at the end of the design pipeline so that you could interfase with games and audiovisual stimuli.

Maybe you are lacking some small amount of coding for getting there or maybe a lot. As I am not a programmer I cannot say, but looking at how OpenVibe is designed it looks like natural to take advantage of your software that has already almost everything needed to do that...

BrainBay is an excellent FOSS neurofeedback software, you could check the scenarios, and maybe later on even the code for comparing it with OpenVibe... I understand it is written in C. Could it be possible a reuse of code? I ignore if the license of BrainBay would allow this and the technical difficulties.
http://www.shifz.org/brainbay/

The thanks for making that great software goes to Chris Veigl who by the way has participated in the forum here and I saw that he wrote an acquisition plugin for an EEG device. Anyhow, it is not a clinical grade software and has some design issues. Using a software for neurofeedback requires a more exigent quality standard that maybe OpenVibe could provide?

Well, I read the post that you have in your page regarding a scientist recruitment that would work in integrating 3D videogames with OpenVibe. I know that the integration is aimed at the level of "moving things with your mind" sort of thing, like explained in your videos, but anyhow you will do it and *maybe* you could take advantage of that if it doesn't means to take you too much effort aside from your current goals that go in other direction..

Or maybe it could be a side project for OpenVibe or someone else that could do it, but I ignore if that is possible...

For instance. Let's say that you want to integrate a 3D videogame like Tux Racer with OpenVibe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJJ32UHo ... re=related

I guess Tux Racer looks like a good training game for OpenVibe left-right detection because it is simple, so it uses small amount of CPU, it is fun to play, so it engages the player into the action and therefore makes him have a good attitude, and is FOSS, just like the OpenVibe spirit :D . And as it is a free software you can probably integrate it into future OpenVibe releases for free and modify it at will whenever you need to do so. It is also a good idea to integrate OpenVibe to FOSS videogames, so that programmers out there can learn faster the coding necessary for this sort of integration.

Now, that programmer that you will hire could potentially not only learn how tomove Tux left and right with the thought as shown on your videos, but could also (in other scenario) learn how to program Tux to accelerate using a biofeedback session, what in fact has several similarities. So there you have a "sinergy" of the integration efforts that would make a double beneficial outcome out of the same work.

Lastly, I guess as you are funded by public budgets, you could need to justify this sort of effort in order to make it happen, so here come some ideas regarding the reasons why it could be beneficial for society this development.

1.- Cheaper and smaller EEGs are now appearing for the consumer market and they come with dry electrodes that are easier to use, so there is a good reason to think that this sort of treatment may become cheaper and easy to implement nowadays and in the future. This may include both hospital based and home based neurofeedback.

2.- Neurofeedback has been largely demonstrated to be highly efficient and safe for helping in many health conditions like ADHD, but until now the studies have lacked the "double blind" quality standard that mainstream medical science usually assumes as necessary for determining whether it should be recommended. That has meant that doctors like neurologists, psychiatrists and others are not using or recommending its use to patients, and that also means that it usually doesn't has healthcare coverage from public and private insurance companies. This may probably change around August of this year because of a public funded study that the Ohio University in the US will finish on that date, and the results wll be disclosed for peer review.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02862.html

Finally, obviously that it seems as very useful for many patients if you could take advantage of the current code from OpenVibe and add a neurofeedback module for having a free open source software that could make it less expensive the clinical and/or home based treatment.

This is just a thought because I understand that you may have other priorities, but it could be interesting if you could give a look at this.

Thanks.